Frank Chimero is a designer, illustrator, and author working as a visual partner across branding, publication, and digital projects.
For over 15 years, he’s been recognized for his smart, content-driven, and good-natured work for clients ranging from Nike to NPR. Print Magazine recognized him as a New Visual Artist in 2011. The next year, the Art Directors Club selected his body of work for their Young Guns award. His work has been featured by HOW Magazine, Print Magazine, Communication Arts, Monocle, The Atlantic, Time, Slate, and adopted by The New Yorker. (It’s a long story.)
In 2012, he wrote and published The Shape of Design, a little, philosophical handbook about making things for other people. The book is used in design classrooms around the world, but its message has found a home in all kinds of creative disciplines, from chefs to woodworkers.
From 2015 to 2017, he co-founded and helped lead Abstract, a software company focused on making digital design teams’ processes more visible and manageable through version control technology. The tool is now happily used by product teams around the world, including Shopify, Github, Unity, Everlane, Instacart, and Headspace.
He lives and works in New York City.
Visual Identity, Concept Development, Publication Design, Website Design, Mobile Design, Illustration, Design Consultation
New York Times, Nike, NPR, Facebook, Adobe, WIRED Magazine, Time Magazine, Chronicle Books, Microsoft, Etsy, Good Magazine, Bloomberg Businessweek, Starbucks
- AIGA National Conference Phoenix, AZ, USA
- AIGA Regional Events Several chapters
- An Interesting Day Oslo, Norway
- Awwwards Conference Berlin, Germany
- Build Conference Belfast, N. Ireland
- Creative Works Memphis, TN, USA
- Cusp Conference Chicago, IL, USA
- dConstruct Brighton, UK
- Design Speaks Portland, OR, USA
- Design Thinkers Toronto, Canada
- Do Lectures Wales, UK
- Etsy New York, NY, USA
- Harvard University Cambridge, MA, USA
- How Design Live Chicago, IL, USA
- Interlink Conference Vancouver, Canada
- Kerning Conference Faenza, Italy
- MailChimp Atlanta, GA, USA
- Mirror Conference Braga, Portugal
- New Adventures Nottingham, UK
- Portable Series Sydney & Melbourne, AU
- School of Visual Arts New York, NY, USA
- Shopify Ontario, Canada
- South by Southwest Austin, TX, USA
- Substans Bergen, Norway
- Webstock Wellington, NZ
- XOXO Festival Portland, OR, USA